- where we collect your personal information from;
- what personal information we collect;
- how we use your personal information;
- who your personal information is shared with; and
- the rights and choices you have when it comes to your personal information.
The main reason we process your personal data is to provide you with the Services that you request from us. For certain purposes we may share your personal information with members of our Group, our partners, service providers and regulatory or governmental bodies. We will only hold your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes for which we hold that personal information.
GoldOnline.com is the data controller in relation to the processing of the personal information that you provide to us when you use our Services. If you have any queries relating to our use of your personal information, if you want to contact our data protection officer or if you have any other related data protection questions, please contact our Data Request Team at datarequest@GoldOnline.com
From you – Most of the personal information we collect will be direct from you when you use the Services. We will collect this information from you through the websites, mobile applications or other similar devices, channels or applications operated by or on behalf of GoldOnline.com.
The information that we share will be used to speed up form filling, or to personalise, or improve your experience when using GoldOnline.com. Beyond this, GoldOnline.com does not share your personal information with any third party under any circumstances (unless obligated by law).
From our partners – If you purchase a product from one of our partners whose products are shown on our Site, they may send us information they hold relating to the product(s) you have purchased. This allows us to track sales and improve our Services.
We may use your personal information:
To enable you to access and use the Services including:
- Verifying your identity, managing, running and administering your account or use of any mobile applications if you choose to set up a Site account or download mobile applications;
- To make it easier for you to use GoldOnline.com we will store the personal information you provide and may use it to pre-populate fields on the Site when making return visits;
- To track sales, which may involve us sharing data with your product provider relating to the product(s) you have purchased;
- To enable you to share our content with others, e.g. by using any ‘Email a friend’ or ‘Share this’ functionality on our Site;
To communicate with you, including sending you information about products and services which we think may be of interest to you – We will only send you this information if you give us your consent for us to do so. We will contact you (depending on your contact preferences) via email or by other electronic means such as via social and digital media this may include new product launches, newsletters and opportunities to participate in market research.
We may use your personal information to enable you to access and use the Services including:
- verifying your identity, managing, running and administering your account or use of any mobile applications if you choose to set up a Site account or download mobile applications;
- to make it easier for you to use the Site we will store the personal information you provide and may use it to pre-populate fields on the Site when making return visits;
- to track sales, which may involve us sharing data with your product provider relating to the product(s) you have purchased;
- to enable you to share our content with others, e.g. by using any ‘Email a friend’ or ‘Share this’ functionality on our Sites;
to communicate with you and send you information about products and services which we think may be of interest to you – We will only send you this information if you give us your consent for us to do so. We will contact you via email or by other electronic means and this may include new product launches, newsletters and opportunities to participate in market research.
Performance of a contract – In order to provide you with the Services and manage your account we will: (i) search the websites of our partners to get you the best prices and/or access information required to provide you with the relevant Service from our third party partners (as described herein for the relevant Service); (ii) manage, run and administer your account. When we do this we are processing your personal information because it is necessary to perform the contract that we have in place with you to provide you with our Services.
Consent – We will only send you certain marketing emails if you have confirmed that you are happy to receive this material. Where we have asked for your consent, we will only collect and process your personal information if you have given your consent for us to do so.
Legitimate Interests – We may use and process some of your personal information where we have sensible and legitimate business grounds for doing so. Under European privacy laws there is a concept of “legitimate interests” as a justification for processing your personal information. Our legitimate interests for processing your personal information are:
- to communicate with you about the Services.
- to personalise and improve our Services for example, we may use your personal information to personalise aspects of our service, including to inform you about products and services we think may be of interest to you (this will not include sending you marketing communications unless you have given us consent to receive these). We constantly aim to improve our Services to you and using your personal information in this way helps us to do this; and
- for market research and analysis which helps us to regularly review and improve the products and services we or our partners provide. Where possible data that we use/provide in this way will be in an anonymised format.
You have the right to object to our use of your personal information for these legitimate interests. If you raise an objection we will stop processing your personal information unless very exceptional circumstances apply, in which case we will let you know why we are continuing to process your personal information. Please contact our Data Request Team at datarequest@GoldOnline.com if you wish to exercise this right.
A cookie is a very small text file placed on your computer or device. Cookies help us to:
- understand browsing habits on the Site;
- understand the number of visitors to the Site and the pages visited; and
- remember you when you return to the Site so we can provide you with access to previously saved products.
Your personal information’s security is very important to us. This is why, where it’s appropriate, our Site use HTTPS to help keep information about you secure. However, no data transmission over the internet can be guaranteed to be totally secure.
You may complete a registration process when you sign up to use parts of the Site. This may include the creation of a username, password and/or other identification information. Any such details should be kept confidential by you and should not be disclosed to or shared with anyone. Where you do disclose any of these details, you are solely responsible for all activities undertaken on the Sites where they are used. To protect your account, we ask you to choose a strong password to access your information on our Sites. A strong password should be lengthy and include a mixture of letters and numbers. Your password can only be reset with access to the email address registered in our system.
It might sometimes be necessary for us or our suppliers to transfer your personal information outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) to locations that may not provide the same level of protection as UK data protection laws. However, we will only transfer your personal information out of the EEA if we have put in place appropriate safeguards and protections as stated under UK law for example by the use of a data-transfer agreement incorporating certain standard model protection clauses which have been approved by the European Commission, or if we send to the US pursuant to the Privacy Shield.
You have certain rights under data protection legislation in relation to the personal information that we hold on you including:
- Right to access: the right to a copy of the personal information we hold about you. We’ll ask you to describe the information you require, as well as letting us know about any other email addresses you’ve used on our Site, to enable us to trace your personal information.
- Depending on the nature of your request, we may also ask you for your full name, your date of birth and your full address and documents to allow us to verify your identity. Requests for copies of your personal information will be dealt with within one month, unless your request is complicated or if you have made a large number of requests. In these circumstances it may take us longer to deal with your request, in which case we will let you know if we need longer than one month to respond;
- Right to correct: the right to have your personal information rectified if it is inaccurate or incomplete. Requests for us to correct your personal information will be dealt with within one month, unless your request is complicated or if you have made a large number of requests. In these circumstances it may take us longer to dealt with your request, in which case we will let you know if we need longer than one month to respond. If we believe that your personal information is accurate, we will let you know that that we will not be amending your personal information and why;
- Right to erasure and to restrict our use of your information: the right to request that we delete or remove your personal information from our systems. Data protection laws give exceptions to this right which, if applicable, we will explain in our response to you;
- Right to restrict our use of your information: In some circumstances you can ‘block’ us from using your personal information or limit the way in which we can use it;
- Right to data portability: the right to request that we move, copy or transfer your personal information;
Right to object: the right to object to our use of your personal information including where we use it for our legitimate interests or where we use your personal information to carry out profiling to inform our market research and customer demographics. If you raise an objection we will stop processing your personal information unless very exceptional circumstances apply, in which case we will let you know why we’re continuing to process your personal information.
If you are not satisfied with the way any complaint you make in relation to your personal information is handled by us then you may be able to refer your complaint to the relevant data protection regulator which in the UK is the Information Commissioner’s Office.
Generally, you can expect us to keep your personal information while you use the Sites or if you have an active account with us. Where you have applied for or purchased products or services via the Sites we will need to keep your personal information for longer for accounting purposes – up to six (6) years following the date on which it is provided to us.
If, having registered for any of our Services, you do not use them for a reasonable time (which may vary depending on the Service(s) you’ve registered for) we may contact you to ensure you’re still happy to receive communications from us.
If one of our partners processes your data in order to provide you with a quote they will be acting as data controller but they should only hold that data for so long as is reasonable in relation to providing you with that quote.
Even if you delete or ask us to delete your personal information it may persist on backup or archival media for legal, tax or regulatory purposes.